Jul 7, 2008

Memories with Russ

Like I said in my last post I don't really have the pictures to prove all the dumb things my brother and I did growing up. So for the sake of you hardcore right brainers that refuse to read a post with no pictures I'm gonna attempt to sketch my memories.

Until I was about 16 my little brother and I shared a bedroom. We had a vintage set of bunk beds, a couple of toy chests with ninja turtles painted on the top, and a dresser that could have turned some heads at the Antique Road Show. Truth is, it was our own little paradise. One of my favorite memories was sliding face first off the top bunk, slamming into the ground, and then climbing up the end of the bed as fast as we could and repeating the process until either our heads collided with each other instead of the floor, or we were simply too tired to climb. More often than not our little game wouldn't start until after we were told to go to bed so the sound of us slamming into the ground head first, or the light remaining on when it was supposed to be off, would often wake up my parents. When we heard my parent's bedroom door open we would quickly kill the light and jump into bed like we'd been sound asleep. 90% of the time it was our mom who came to dish out the discipline, given away by the sound of her slippers on the carpet. But every now and then the hallway floor would creek, which could only mean one thing. Dad was coming. Rather than assuming a normal sleeping position, when dad was coming, we'd each bury ourselves completely under the covers, face the wall, and attempt to lay completely still and hold our breath. I remember one time we both managed to crawl under the bottom bunk because it felt safer there. HAHA! So many great memories!



One of my other favorite memories of Russ was nearly ritualistic. We used to take vacuum cleaner extension poles, put on karate outfits, and pretend we were ninja turtles. Rather than fighting the bad guys though, we'd fight each other. These little battles of ours never lasted as long as we wanted them too because without fail one of us would hit the other one in the head causing a "one-up" game of retaliation and intimidation. Almost immediately the person hit in the head would trade in his vacuum cleaner poles for a pool cue and start screaming something like, "THAT'S RIGHT PUNK... YOU WANT SOME OF THIS... I'M FREEKIN CRAZY!" This caused the "about to be jacked with a pool cue" fighter to look for a slightly more intimidating weapon. Usually the only option was a pool ball but since the area around the pool table was protected by "freekin crazy," the only other option was to retreat upstairs. Although I can recall atleast one time that a metal baseball bat made it into the mix.


These are the memories that I look back at and can't help but laugh out loud. Russ has come a long way since the days of hiding under the bed from my dad and threatening to beat me with a pool cue. Congratualtions again on finding an amazing girl to spend the rest of your life with! NOW FIND ME ONE PUNK! HA!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Scott, I read your latest posts to Dad for our FHE on Monday; I laughed and laughed. You have a real talent for expressing yourself in such a fun way. Thanks for the memories! love you lots!

Selena and Russ!! said...

Dang Bucky. Good stuff. Oh how I can still hear the sound of those slippers walking down the hallway. And the sound of that front door opening,the bag being set on the bench, and the keys hitting the counter.

another one of my fav memories was hooking up the hotwheels track from the bunk beds to the dresser and having bumper car wars... dumptruck vs slugbug baby.

Allison Barry said...

oh the adventures of brothers. my sisters and i had some fun fighting memories like that, although we used our fingernails instead of pool cues.

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Ummm..did you steal one of our etch-a-sketches for your illustrations! I think all those naughty boy sharing a room nights have been passed down genetically-except I don;t wear slippers and I am not as nice as the Dawnster was. My kids probably hide under the bed from me! I wish I had a pool table play room to send them down to jack each other up on! Right now I just have to sit and watch it! BTW- Got a gal for you!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

BTW- How FUNNY are you? ...organized chaos!!! ha ha ha

Allison Barry said...

yeah, playdough feet is pretty bad. sorry. we're excited for you to be back in az!!!